Thursday, March 19, 2009

The National Archives

One of my favorite colleagues in the Department of Sociology is Sethunya. I heard that she was taking her research methods class to the National Archives for a tour, so I invited myself along. The National Archives, also in Government Enclave, operates under the motto: 'Preserving Our Past, Securing Our Future.' The emphasis from our guide was definitely on the more distant past. Indeed, there is a '20 year' rule which means that some more recent materials will not be available. All of the archivists whom we met were very welcoming and clearly dedicated to maintaining a record of Botswana's past and present. The students seemed very interested in the history of Botswana contained within the Archives walls. I look forward to working there in the weeks and months ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment