Saturday, April 18, 2009

O tsogile jang?

I am very excited to be taking a Setswana class. I had heard of a course earlier in our stay but just did not know how I would manage it on top everything else, especially as it is offered on Fridays at 5 pm! I am in a Beginning class for the next several weeks and may even have time to join an Intermediate class before we leave. I feel much better knowing that I will soon be able to say more than 'dumela mma' and 'dumela rra' and 'tankie.' The classes are held at the Alliance Francaise, a very short distance from our flat. I have seen them all over English speaking Africa (and of course the US). They often bring the arts and culture from Francophone West Africa to Anglophone counterparts. They always offer French classes and local language classes. There are five of us in the class with Phemelo, our teacher: a Mostwana who appears to have grown up in the US and returned home recently, an Australian, German, Tanzanian, Zimbabwean and myself. The kids have conversational Setswana at school once a week and Kuno has long had a notebook where he keeps a growing list of all of the Setswana words that he has learned.

Postscript: the image above is from our night out at News Cafe after our last class!

1 comment:

  1. Am glad you can at least attend a class to learn. Am in Uganda and i normally do a lot of searches of Tswana words and try and learn.Pronunciation then becomes my problem.

    But thank God Gabz Fm is streamed online.So that's where i get some pronunciations. It's hard but i am so desperate to learn it before coming to Gaborone sometime in 2010.

    Good meanwhile!!

    ReplyDelete